Sunday, September 19, 2010

Journal 3

UDK is still very new to me, granted I've gotten use to some of the tools in it already and I am quit proud of myself, but I know I can learn more and do better. With my level I'm using the subtractive space to start off. I forgot right off the bat how to “edit vertices” in UDK. I don't remember what I learned to shape the boxes how I want them. I asked around for help from students that already took the class and that I know are quit familiar with the engine. All but one of who I asked said that they couldn't help me. Maybe its because I worded it wrong? I'm not sure, but the one who said that could help me said that we could meet up. Unfortunately it was a couple days before class started. I took the opportunity to finish all of my other homework so I can concentrate on Level Design for the remaining days that I would be getting help. Something happened, my help didn't come through, said that they needed to take care of some things and couldn't be there to help. I didn't know what else to do, so I went back to my file and started messing around with the engine to see if I could remember something. Another thing I could not recall was how to make a door and a pathway. I was struggling intensely, and I finally asked someone that I asked for help previously to please help me because it was already too late to email my teacher. He sat down with me with the only hour of free time he had and explained to me how to approach my level, but it was completely different with how I was taught. It was a lot more messy, but I was able to do what I wanted in some form. I decided that this would be what I show to my instructor, but I'm also going to ask how to approach this better and see if I can redo the entire level. I don't mind it really, I would rather redo it then have tons of stuff that I don't need. As I see it, its just another step in the learning process. I have to keep going and going in order to learn from my mistakes. At least now I know how to do it a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment